Saturday, May 9, 2009

Someone's Mama

Happy Mother's Day to all of you nurturing women out there! I got the honor of being a special kind of Mama this spring! Here's the abridged story:

Bronwyn and I were out working in the garden a couple of weeks ago when we heard a lot of commotion in our big Eucalyptus trees nearby. Then a crash. I went over and found a little baby squirrel lying there. His eyes had just opened. I have done wildlife rehabilitation in the past, and so I made sure he was okay, but then put him in the crook of the tree so that his Mama could find him. He hollered and cried for a long time, and still no Mama. So I thought I would help him out and then try again to reunite him with his nest later. He was very hungry!


The next day, I put him back in the tree, and still no Mama. Well, usually the Moms come right away when they hear their babies crying, so I think something must have happened to her. Anyhow, this is Rocky! He stayed with us for a couple of weeks on got very fat and sassy! Then we found a woman nearby that is licensed to rehabilitate small mamals, and we decided to take Rocky to her place. He was begining to be a very busy boy, but he didn't want to be too far away from me. I thought he should be with other squirrels so that he could learn how to do squirrely things! So we said goodbye to Rocky this morning, but I'm sure he will have a very happy life.

7 comments:

vadjutka said...

oh, how cute (and lucky to have found you) baby boy :-)
It must have been hard to say goodbye to a beautiful squirrel like him!

Colleen MacDonald said...

It was hard to say goodbye; he was adorable! But he had bonded to me, and he needed to be with other squirrels, so I knew I had to do it. I will always remember him, though!

Pam Corwin, Business of Crafts said...

I know it was the best thing but I feel sad I'll never get to see him again. He was so adorable!

Corrabelle said...

Aw, he is so cute!! Those wee little buggy eyes, so baby!!

Stephanie said...

Wow, what a cute little guy and an amazing story! What do you feed a baby squirrel anyway?

Colleen MacDonald said...

We fed him a special formula that is made for premature kittens or kittens that are still nursing that have no Mama. It's called Kitten Milk Replacer, or KMR. You can get it at PetSmart or other pet stores. After a week or so, he started to show interest in chewing so I gave him an almond. The first thing he did with it was try to bury it: I laughed SO hard!

Thea said...

That is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Lucky for Rocky you found him!