Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Second Chance

Happy New Year my friends. I have taken a looooonng hiatus from my computer, only checking my e-mail for shop activity. It felt very good and relaxing to untie myself from the screen, but I missed everyone, too. I'm happy to be back, and to be catching up with what everyone has been up to.

What's new for us? Just before the Christmas break, my husband brought home a kitten, approximately 8 weeks old, who had gotten trapped in a shipping container. Who knows how long he had been in there, but he was quite dehydrated and starving, and was probably not long for this life when he was found. For two weeks after Brian brought him home, he did nothing but sleep and eat, and I carried him around in a sling as much as I could to get him used to human touch. Now he's a total whipper-snapper, and is fitting in very nicely with our family. Bronwyn is much entertained by his funny antics, and our other cat, Fiona, although long suffering, is warming up to him nicely. We named him "Second Chance Pickle." The "Pickle" part of his name came from my daughter's good friend Ella Wren, who kindly kitten-sat him while we were on holiday in Montana. She noticed that he had a tendancy to get himself into a pickle! We just call him "Chance." He's such a sweet boy.

Our trip to Montana was lovely and inspiring. We had lots of snow, and otherwise mild weather; just right for walking in. On Christmas day we went out to Kelly Canyon, and I took a little walk at sunset where I was one with the cold air, the snow and the ravens. I fell in love with the climate then, as I never had before. Coming home, it was nice to find our routine again, and I found myself enjoying time with my husband and daughter.


















This past weekend, Bronwyn and I went out to the Nisqually River Delta and Wildlife Refuge. We walked around for a couple of hours and saw lots of Bald Eagles, Canada Geese (of course), Blue herons, and a Sea Lion, fishing in the river. The day was damp, but not rainy and it felt good to stretch our legs. I have a never-ending fascination for moss and lichens, and this trip did not dissapoint in that department: It was lush with the tiny greens!

























Creatively, I am going to try something I've never done before: make a quilt. My Niece, Abby, just turned 16, and for her birthday, she decided to make 16 quilts for Project Linus, an organization that donates quilts to chilren in hospitals. I thought it would be great to donate one in honor of her 16th birthday, so I pledged to do it. I'm only slightly terrified! Right now, I'm working out the size and fabrics, but I'll be sure to keep you posted on my progress. Oh, and I've had a birthday! I'm now 41 years old. WOW. I'm so glad to have you all in my life; thank-you, and I hope that 2010 brings each of you happiness.

9 comments:

Victoria said...

Hello friend, and happy 41st!!!
I'm thrilled to hear that you are going to make a quilt!
With your sewing talents I am sure you will have no problems, and I hope you enjoy the process. (feel free to contact me if you have any questions.)
I saw your barn and moss/lichen pics on flickr... two subjects I am drawn to and also fascinated by.
As for your little Chance Pickle... what a cutie! This cat has been blessed to have been found by your loving family, and I wish you all many purrrrfectly wonderful years together. (So sorry, I just couldn't resist.)
Good to have you back! (I missed you).

Colleen MacDonald said...

Thank-You so much, Victoria. I will probably flood you with questions and insecurities in the coming weeks!

Greg said...

Welcome back! And congratulations on the new kitty. Your daughter must be so happy. My two cats both came from a shelter and they've brought so much personality into my home. I always think that it's great when people adopt a pet. And good luck on the quilt. But beware - it can be addictive!

vadjutka said...

hello Colleen!

happy new year and happy b-day!
you must have had a great holiday - the photos are great!

wishing you luck with the quilt :-)

Colleen MacDonald said...

Thanks, Judit! And thanks to you all for encouragement on the quilt; I don't know what I'm afraid of!

inaluxe said...

Happy Birthday Colleen! I'm not far behind you! :) It's soo cool to read all your news - Chance looks like a lovely boy, and your holidays with your husband and Bronwyn sound fabulous. :) I love your photos, and looking forward to seeing this quilt of yours! As always - you brighten my day. :) xo

picciolo said...

hello, welcome back! And Happy Birthday!! Your new little cat is very cute, and good luck with your quilt, I did my first one last summer, I think you will enjoy it
: )

julia moore said...

Hey, you're back! missed you. Happy Birthday, Happy New Year, Happy Quilting! I love lichens too. I am experimenting with dyeing with them. I put some of the results on my blog. I used the exact same ones as in your photo of the tree branch covered with lichens.

Colleen MacDonald said...

Thank-You for the nice welcome back, Julia. I missed you, too!